Camping is one of the most popular outdoor activities in the United States for a reason! Over 50 million people, both children, and adults, went on camping trips in 2020 and 2021. Most of these people prefer going on overnight camping trips, as who doesn’t love the vibe of night-time outdoor adventures? Overnight camping trips are all about sitting around campfires, roasting marshmallows, and looking up at the stars. However, planning an overnight camping trip can be stressful, especially if you haven’t been camping at night before.
This blog discusses the overnight camping gear you must purchase for a night-time camping trip.
If you're on an overnight camping trip, you need to carry an easy-to-set-up camping tent with you. Having a camping tent will allow you to pick the ideal camping site, place all your belongings inside, and have a good night's sleep without worrying about harsh environmental conditions like the rain and the wind ruining your gear or sleep. Additionally, a camping tent also protects you from wild animals that might be roaming the area. These include bears, foxes, and even small insects and bugs which can crawl over you while you're sleeping. However, when purchasing a camping tent for an overnight camping trip, you need to consider various factors.
Here are some tips on picking a camping tent for your next trip.
- Ensure that your camping tent is big enough to fit you and your fellow campers. You don't want to be cramped in a tent, have an uncomfortable sleep, and be too tired the next day.
- Always purchase a tent keeping the weather conditions in mind. If you're camping out in the snow, you need a camping tent that offers better insulation and can keep the interior warm. On the other hand, camping out in the summer requires outdoor adventure lovers to buy summer tents. These tents offer enhanced ventilation and ensure that the camp's interior is cool, allowing you to be comfortable even during the hottest nights of the year.
- Overnight campers need to remember that rain should always be a factor in picking out a camping tent. In most cases, it can start pouring down suddenly at night, and if your camping tent isn't waterproof, you'd have to spend the entire night looking for natural places to shelter while being drenched from head to toe. Always get nylon, polyester, or canvas camping tents, as they are water-resistant and keep you and your belongings dry during an overnight trip.
Sleeping Bags, Ground Sheets, Sleeping Pads, And Pillows
Many campers think that they can have a comfortable night's sleep by directly sleeping on the camping tent's flooring. While the flooring is thick enough to prevent the damp ground from making your camp's interior flooring wet, it's nowhere near enough to ensure a comfortable night's sleep. The flooring can be hard, and you might have to toss and turn the entire night looking for a soft and comfortable spot to sleep. Therefore, it's essential to pack other overnight camping gear that enhances your sleep at the camping site. You can take a couple of ground sheets and place them on the camp's interior flooring. Additionally, before setting up the tent, you can place a ground sheet on the ground for maximum comfort and protection.
However, one of the top overnight camping essentials every camper needs is a sleeping bag, as who doesn't love getting into a warm and cozy bag and enjoying a peaceful night outdoors? You can further enhance the experience by getting sleeping pads. These sleeping pads can be placed beneath your bags, making the sleeping surface softer and more comfortable. It's also advisable to carry a couple of pillows and place them under your body to relax your neck and legs. However, only carry pillows if you feel like you won't be able to sleep without them. Remember, there's no use taking gear that isn't necessary and will just take extra space in your backpack.
Fire Starting Kit
It's no secret that overnight camping trips require campers to light a fire at the camping site. You might need this fire to boil water, cook food, or even stay warm during a winter camping trip. Additionally, a camping fire is an effective technique to keep wildlife away from your camping tent. Therefore, campers must carry fire-starting tools like lighters or kerosene oil. However, lighters, matches, or kerosene oil can be ineffective in starting fires during monsoon or winter.
If rain is pouring down from the sky or the temperature has dropped below the freezing point, you might not be able to start a fire using conventional tools like lighters, kerosene oil, and firewood. Therefore, campers should carry a fire-starting kit like a canister that allows them to light a fire in any weather or temperature.
If you're big on hygiene and are taking an overnight camping trip, you should carry some toiletries that allow you to maintain your hygiene during your overnight stay at a camping site. If you're camping for a couple of nights, you might want to skip showering but that doesn't mean you should compromise on hygiene. Here are a few essential toiletries that you need to take on an overnight camping trip.
- A roll-on or stick deodorant that you can apply in the morning or when changing clothes to reduce body odor. Trust us; your fellow campers will appreciate that!
- Face and body wipes that you can use to remove dirt from your face before sleeping
- Toilet paper
- A hand sanitizer for quick hand cleaning
- A stick of biodegradable soap to wash your hands when needed
- A quick and easy dry towel that you can use to dry your hands after washing them
However, if your camping trip includes a multiple-night stay, you might want to shower a couple of times. You can carry shampoo and conditioner in small bottles or sachet and use biodegradable soap to have a quick shower whenever you get the chance. Also, remember to carry more than one towel if you plan to shower on your overnight camping trip.
Even though a first-aid kit is essential for all kinds of camping trips, it's crucial for overnight trips as there's a high likelihood of campers getting injured during the dark. Therefore, you need to gather some medical essentials and pack them with your overnight camping gear. Here's a list of things you should pack in your overnight camping medical kit.
- Pain-relieving tablets, sprays, or creams
- Adhesive bandages
- Antiseptic bandages
Besides these essentials, you should also carry your prescription medicines if you're dealing with health issues. People with food or environmental allergies should also have anti-allergens in their backpacks. Additionally, overnight campers must pack a bug-repellent spray. This allows them to keep bugs and insects away at night. Your emergency kit should also have torches and backup batteries.
Cooking Essentials or Food
One of the most important things that you should carry on an overnight camping trip is a set of tools that can help you prepare meals during camping. While most people tend to take ready-to-eat food from their houses for a one-night trip, where's the fun in that? Cooking outdoors on a camping trip is a memorable experience that every outdoor adventure enthusiast should have. Additionally, taking ready-to-eat sandwiches is only an option if you're camping for one night. If your trip is longer, packing cooking tools is essential. Here are some food preparation tools that are a must for your overnight camping trip.
- A portable stove, as weather conditions might prevent you from lighting a fire and cooking on it
- Some crockery and cutlery like plates, bowls, knives, and spoons
- A water filtration device that allows you to gather water from a nearby stream and purify it before using it for drinking or cooking
- A few pots and pans
- Any food ingredients that you might need, like noodle packets, canned meat, dried fruits, vegetables, etc.
In most camping sites, the temperature tends to drop at night, even if you're camping out during summer. Therefore, it's advisable to pack warm clothes that you can put on at night or during a sudden rain. Here are some must-have clothing options to keep you warm and cozy during an overnight trip.
- Flip flops that you can wear inside the camping tent
- Several pairs of socks to keep your feet warm and comfortable during sleep
- Waterproof jackets that you can wear if it starts raining
- Warm trousers, scarves, and hoodies to wear during a temperature drop at night
Purchasing Overnight Camping Gear? Check Out the Collection by Light Hiking Gear
Buying overnight camping gear and preparing for your night-time trip has never been easier! At Light Hiking Gear, we have a collection of camping gear that allows you to be ready for any outdoor adventure. From apparel to comfortable hiking backpacks, this light camping gear line includes everything you need for your overnight camping trip. Our overnight camping gear has a collection of camping socks and flip-flops that can keep your feet warm at night.
We also have a fire-starting canister that allows you to light a fire quickly, even in harsh environmental conditions. Additionally, our light camping gear collection has an automatic pop-up camping tent that’s durable and lightweight, and ideal for night-time camping. Our overnight camping gear also has a portable butane stove and cooking cutlery, so you can shop survival stove online, which makes meal preparation easier on night-time camping trips.
Get in touch with us and purchase this overnight camping gear to have a memorable outdoor experience under the stars!